How can I make a UK Spouse visa settlement application?

Using the UK Spouse visa to settleUsing the UK Spouse visa to settle in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Remain)

You can apply to settle in the UK (ILR) after holding the Spouse visa for 5 years. If you plan to apply for ILR after the initial visa and extension visa, you must keep in mind that information on all absences exceeding 180 days in a 12-month period will need to explained and may affect your application.

Further, you must meet the good character requirement. You must also have sufficient knowledge of Life in UK, and of the English language. For a comprehensive overview on the requirements of ILR, click here.

Contact our immigration experts today on 0203 5245439.

Using the UK Spouse visa to settle: what are the requirements?

  • The Sponsor (British citizen or settled person in the UK) must be earning a minimum of £18,600 – this amount increases if there are children under 18 involved
  • You and the Sponsor must be in a genuine and subsisting relationship – the evidence needed to prove this vary according to individual circumstances

Using the UK Spouse visa to obtain British citizenship through naturalisation

You can apply for British citizenship straight after obtaining ILR if you are married to a British citizen. However, if you are not married to a British citizen, you will have to hold ILR for one year before applying for citizenship.

Continuous residency requirements include not spending more than 90 days outside the UK for that year spent holding ILR.

  • To read the detailed requirements to obtain citizenship through naturalisation as a non-EEA national, click here.
  • To read more about obtaining citizenship through naturalisation as an EEA national, click here.

How can NA Law help with your UK Spouse visa extension and settlement?

Alternatively, you can contact us for a 15-minute telephone consultation if you would like to discuss your immigration matter. We have extensive experience in individual immigration and we can guide you you throughout the entire application to ensure it is up to the highest possible standard.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs):

You can apply online to become a British Citizen. You must make sure you meet all the requirements before you do this as well as provide proof of the following:
 Two referees to support good character.
 A ‘Life in the UK’ test certificate.
 Proof of knowledge of the English Language (you must achieve this to B1 Level at least).
 Evidence of ILR/an EEA Permanent Residence Card/certificate for the right to abode.

The fee for this is £1330.

The UK Spouse visa is not applicable to EEA nationals or to non-EEA nationals married to/in a relationship with an EEA national.

If you are the spouse of an EEA national in the UK, you may be eligible to remain in the UK if you apply for settled status. You must have lived in the UK for at least 5 years and you will have to prove this – you can find more information here.

It is free to apply for. However, please note that the deadline to apply to the Scheme is subject to change. If the UK leaves without a deal, the deadline is 31st December 2020. Otherwise the deadline is 30th June 2021.

It can take between at least 6 weeks to a few months to reach a decision on a UK spouse visa; however, this is not a defined time and it can take longer if an application is particularly complex. Obtaining legal representation is advised to strengthen the nature of your application and shorten the processing time.

Need help? Chat to us