Get in touch
Get in touch
You can no longer apply for a new Tier 1 (Investor) visa. One alternative visa route open to career investors currently is the Global Talent visa.
Accelerated Settlement for Investors
In order to qualify for settlement, you must have 5 years continuous leave in the UK under Tier 1 (Investor) (You can no longer apply for one). However, there is a way to achieve settled status quicker as an investor.
You can apply for accelerated Indefinite Leave to Remain after having lived in the UK for a continuous period of either 2 years or 3 years. This is only available for those investing more in the UK. Moreover, You must meet certain investment criteria in order to qualify for this path.
For advice on accelerated settlement contact our immigration experts now.
- You must have a continuous stay in the UK and can only meet this requirement through your leave under Tier 1 (Investor). Consequently, you cannot combine leave in any other category to build up the stay to meet the continuous leave requirement.
- You can only apply for settlement up to 28 days before reaching your qualifying period. If you apply too early, your application may be refused and you cannot have more than 180 days outside of the UK during any consecutive 12-months of the qualifying period.
- You must also demonstrate your knowledge of the English language by either coming from an English-speaking country, holding a degree taught in English, or holding an English speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above. You must also pass the Life in the UK test.
If you are applying for settlement before April 2022 and you entered the UK before November 2014, your required investment should be at least £1 million for 5 years. At least 75% of this must be by way of loan capital or share capital in active and trading UK-registered share companies.
However, if you are applying for settlement before April 2025 and you first entered the UK after November 2014 (but before March 2019) then your required investment should be at least £2 million for 5 years.
Accelerated Settlement Investment Criteria
If you can demonstrate investments of £10 million, then the continuous period is decreased to 2 years, and if you can demonstrate you have invested £5 million, the continuous period is decreased to 3 years.
You must maintain this level of investment throughout the specified continuous period. Furthermore, your investment capital must be your own and under your control in the UK.
However, if you entered through the Tier 1 (investor) route before 6 November 2014 and apply for settlement before 6 April 2022, you may rely on loaned funds, if:
- For a continuous period of 5 years, your own personal assets are worth no less than £2 million, and you have money under your control in the UK of no less than £1 million, which has been loaned to you by a financial institution (UK regulated).
- For a continuous period of 3 years, your own personal assets are worth no less than £10 million, and you have money under your control at a value no less than £5 million.
- Continually, for a period of 2 years, your own personal assets are worth no less than £20 million, and you have money under your control at a value of no less than £10 million.
General Grounds of Refusal
The Home Office can refuse your application on the basis of:
- Your immigration history
- Whether you have ever provided the Home Office with fraudulent documents
- Whether you have committed a serious crime.
How Can NA Law Solicitors Help?
Settlement applications for Tier 1 Investor Visa holders can be a long and complicated process. As immigration law specialists, NA Law Solicitors will provide you with a tailored, cost-effective service with only your best interests in mind. Contact us today for a consultation.