Returning Resident VisaWhat is a Returning Resident?

If you were previously held indefinite leave to remain but lost it by being away from the UK for more than 2 years, you can apply for a Returning Resident visa.

To make this application, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • Intend to live in the UK permanently
  • You must have been settled in the UK before you left
  • You must not have sought public funding to help you leave the country

If you meet the above criteria, you must show, during the application:

  • You have strong ties to the UK – the ties you can rely on depend on the circumstances of each applicant, but these are generally in the form of family, career or property ties.
  • Your current circumstances and why you have lived outside of the UK

Get in touch with our immigration experts now and call us on 0203 5245439.


The type of documentation you will need will largely depend on your individual circumstance, as your ties to the UK will be unique. We will advise on exactly which documents to provide based on what best demonstrates your ties to the UK, availability of the documents and authenticity of the documents.

How can NA Law Solicitors help?

We understand that losing ILR is usually unintended and therefore frustrating; however, we also understand that in certain situations it cannot be helped. We will go through your entire situation with you and discuss the best and worst case scenarios so that you can walk away with peace of mind knowing all bases have been covered.

Contact us today and take a step closer to returning to the UK as a resident!

Frequently asked questions (FAQs):

No, your dependants (spouse, partner and children under 18) must apply separately if they are eligible.

The Home Office processing fee is £516.

No, you will be able to live in the UK permanently and without any restrictions.

No, your ILR will be intact if your spouse or partner is a member of the UK armed forces and you have been outside the UK for this reason.

You will not lose ILR if your spouse or partner is a British Citizen or settled in the UK along with being one of the following:

  • A permanent member of the Diplomatic Service
  • A UK based British Council employee working outside the UK
  • A Department for International Development employee
  • A Home Office employee
Need help? Chat to us