The EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit

Initial Consultation

High Success Rate

Competitive Fees

No Hidden Charges

Get in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What is The EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit?

The EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit has now replaced the EEA Family Permit, as of 30th June 2021. As this date has now passed, the EEA Family Permit is no longer valid. To join or accompany a family member, you will be required to use the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit. It allows family members of non-EEA nationals to apply from outside the UK to join their family members of EEA status who are residing in the UK with pre-settled status or settled status

For more extensive information, contact our specialist immigration solicitors on 0203 5245439.

How Long is The Permit Valid? 

The EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit is valid for 6 months and, during this time, permit holders can leave and return to the UK freely, as many times as they want.

Who is Eligible to Apply? 

You can apply if:

  • At the time of your application, you are outside the UK.
  • You are a non-EEA citizen looking to join/accompany a family member who is an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK.
  • The family member you intend to join has pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).
  • By 31st December 2020, the family member was living in the UK.
  • Your relationship with that family member began by 31st December 2020.

What Documents are Needed to Apply? 

The documents needed to apply become more specific depending on which type of family member you are and who you are joining but typically you will need:

  • A passport 
  • Or if you are an EEA, EU or Swiss national you can instead provide a national identity card rather than a passport 
  • Evidence proving the state of your relationship with the EEA family member
  • Evidence of travel plans.

Applications can be completed online and it is free to apply. 

Who Can you Join Using this Permit?

  • An EU, Swiss or EEA national
  • A Northern Ireland national 
  • A person who has resided in the UK as an EU, EEA or Swiss national before also getting British citizenship.

Who Qualifies as a Family Member for the Purposes of the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit?

  • A spouse or civil partner at the time of making the application. The two of you must have a durable partnership.
  • An unmarried partner.
  • A child (under 21) or dependent parent. The relationship must have formed before the 31st of December 2020.
  • A child or dependent parent of a spouse or civil partner. 

How Can NA Law Solicitors Help? 

Our highly qualified immigration solicitors at NA Law Solicitors can provide assistance and guarantee that your immigration applications are accepted. Call our immigration solicitors today on 0203 5245439 or feel free to contact us for more guidance.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

You can apply for the EUSS. You should do this within 3 months of arriving in the UK.

Need help? Chat to us