Settlement as a skilled worker/Tier 2 dependent

What is a skilled worker?


Skilled Worker

As of December 2020 settlement under Tier 2 (General) work visa has been replaced by a Skilled Worker visa. The Skilled Worker visa enables workers to do a job under an approved employer and lasts up to five years. This article will outline how the new settlement scheme works and the requirements of an application. 

What are the requirements for a Skilled Worker visa?

A skilled worker needs to meet the following criteria: 

  •  Work must be for an employer approved by the Home Office;
  • Salary requirements; which must be £10.10 per hour or £25, 600 or above;
  • Obtain a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from an employer; and
  • The role must be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa.

Do I need to have knowledge of English?

There is a requirement to prove sufficient knowledge of English, verbal, written and the ability to read English must be proven. Some nationalities do not need to prove knowledge of English when applying for a Skilled Worker visa. 

Will the dependents of a skilled worker be eligible for settlement?

The dependents of skilled workers are eligible for settlement and can submit an application for settlement at the same period of time as the skilled worker. If successful, the visa’s of eligible dependants will expire at the same time as that of the Skilled Worker visa. 

Can a skilled worker visa be extended?

A Skilled Worker visa holder can apply for an extension of their Skilled Worker visa prior to the expiration of their existing visa. An extension application under the new Skilled Worker visa is also available to those with a Tier 2 (General) visa.

To be eligible for a skilled worker visa extension the following conditions must be met:

  • The job must be the same;
  • The employer must be the same; and
  • The role must meet occupation code requirements.

How NA Law Solicitors can help?

Our team of expert immigration solicitors are here to advise and assist you with your application. Contact us today to receive our support and guidance.

Need help? Chat to us